Food Aid: A Primer
AbstractAs an introduction to food aid this paper reviews various definitions of food aid and terminology used by practitioners and academics. It also briefly examines the size of food aid relative to Official Development Assistance, trade and food production in recipient countries and recognizes that in many instances food aid may play an important role in issues related to food security. Lastly, it summarizes actions taken by various international organizations to limit possible trade distortion resulting from food aid.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA) in its series Working Papers with number 05-05.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
Food aid; Food security; Trade; World Food Programme; Official Development Assistance; International Organizations.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- P45 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - International Linkages
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2006-03-25 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2006-03-29 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-25 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francesco Burchi & Sara Turchetti, 2010. "Food Aid Delivery: Good and Bad Practices," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.