Trade Flows and Spatial Effects: The Gravity Model Revisited
AbstractThe paper revisits the popular gravity model of trade in the light of the increasingly acknowledged findings of spatial econometrics and interprets the results in view of some recent theoretical developments from the economic literature that contribute to its foundation. When the inherent spatial effects are explicitly taken into account, the magnitude of the estimated parameters changes considerably and, with it, the measures on the predicted trade flows. This result is illustrated on the case of predicted trade flows between the EU and some of its potential members.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Exeter University, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 0004.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Streatham Court, Rennes Drive, Exeter EX4 4PU
Phone: (01392) 263218
Fax: (01392) 263242
Web page: http://business-school.exeter.ac.uk/about/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
TRADE ; ECONOMETRICS ; SPATIAL ANALYSIS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rojas, Gina E. Acosta & Calfat, Germán & Flôres Junior, Renato Galvão, 2005. "Trade and Infrastructure: evidences from the Andean Community," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 580, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Ronaldo Daniel Da Mata & Rogério Edivaldo Freitas, 2008. "Produtos Agropecuários: Para quem Exportar?," Discussion Papers 1321, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Cortinhas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.