Post-Crisis Reversal in Banking and Insurance Integration: An Empirical Survey
AbstractThis empirical essay reviews post-crisis integration in banking and insurance. Looking at aggregate data, we find that cross-border banking flows have been reversed, in particular into the CESEE and peripheral counties (Portugal, Ireland and Greece). But data at the individual firm level for banks and insurers indicate that cross-border activities remain persuasive within Europe. This intensity of cross-border activities indicates that the potential for coordination failure among national authorities remains high. Host country supervisors have so far responded by ring-fencing activities in subsidiaries, leading to further fragmentation. This essay argues that if we want to keep the benefits of both the single financial market and financial stability, we need new supranational institutions that encourage integration. The advance to Banking Union with integrated supervision and resolution can provide the necessary policy push for an integrated approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 496.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-06-09 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2013-06-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2013-06-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2013-06-09 (Insurance Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.