Study on the Impact of the Euro on Trade and Foreign Direct Investment
AbstractThe introduction of the euro was the world's largest economic â€˜experiment.' This experiment opens the door to a major advance in our understanding of how aÂ common currency affects economic activity. When it comes to the euro's trade effects the first contribution of this report is to refine â€œthe numberâ€. Using the latest data and best empirical methodology, we confirm the received wisdom that the euro has promoted trade significantly, with the aggregate impact being in the range of 5% or so. The second main contribution of this report was to advance and refine our understanding of exact how the euro was boosting trade. The euro boosted trade inside the Eurozone since it lowered the relative price of traded goods coming from the Eurozone. The second main channel is the newly-trade goods channel. The third main contribution of the report concerns the euro's pro-FDI effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 321.
Length: 141 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Economic and Monetary Union; trade; FDI; euro; Baldwin; DiNino; Fontagn�; De Santis; Taglioni;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Klaus Regling & Servaas Deroose & Reinhard Felke & Paul Kutos, 2010. "The Euro After Its First Decade : Weathering the Financial Storm and Enlarging the Euro Area," Governance Working Papers 22817, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Regling, Klaus & Deroose, Servaas & Felke, Reinhard & Kutos, Paul, 2010. "The Euro After Its First Decade: Weathering the Financial Storm and Enlarging the Euro Area," ADBI Working Papers 205, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Jacques Pelkmans & Lourdes Acedo Montoya & Alessandro Maravalle, 2008. "How product market reforms lubricate shock adjustment in the euro area," European Economy - Economic Papers 341, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2008. "EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 562-576, 08.
- Leticia Blazquez & Carmen Dâˆšâ‰ az-Mora & Rosario Gandoy, 2011. "EU Integration and Production Networks: Evidende from Spain," ERSA conference papers ersa10p583, European Regional Science Association.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2012.
"Western Europe's Growth Prospects: an Historical Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2012. "Western Europe’s Growth Prospects: an Historical Perspective," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 70, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Patrick Leblond, 2011. "The Global Financial Crisis and the European Integration Project," CIRANO Working Papers 2011s-55, CIRANO.
- Harry Kelejian & George S. Tavlas & Pavlos Petroulas, 2011.
"In the neighbourhood: the trade effects of the euro in a spatial framework,"
136, Bank of Greece.
- Kelejian, Harry & Tavlas, George S. & Petroulas, Pavlos, 2012. "In the neighborhood: The trade effects of the Euro in a spatial framework," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 314-322.
- Philip R. Lane, 2008. "EMU and Financial Integration," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp272, IIIS.
- Estrella Gómez & Juliette Milgram Baleix, 2012. "EMU impact of on third countries’ exports. A gravity approach," ThE Papers 10/26, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Eicher, Theo S. & Helfman, Lindy & Lenkoski, Alex, 2012.
"Robust FDI determinants: Bayesian Model Averaging in the presence of selection bias,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 637-651.
- Theo S Eicher & Lindy Helfman & Alex Lenkoski, 2011. "Robust FDI Determinants: Bayesian Model Averaging In The Presence Of Selection Bias," Working Papers UWEC-2011-07-FC, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Praussello, Franco, 2012. "The Theory of Endogenous Optimum Currency Areas: A Critical Note - La teoria delle aree monetarie ottimali endogene: una nota critica," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 65(1), pages 83-95.
- Puiu, Cristina, 2010.
"Endogenitatea criteriilor teoriei zonei monetare optime
[The endogeneity of the optimum currency area criteria]," MPRA Paper 28470, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomáš Havránek, 2009. "Rose Effect and the Euro: The Magic is Gone," Working Papers IES 2009/20, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Aug 2009.
- Claudia M. Buch, 2012. "From the Stability Pact to ESM - What next?," IAW Discussion Papers 85, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Baldwin, Richard, 2010.
"Sequencing regionalism: Theory, European practice, and lessons for Asia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2011. "Sequencing Regionalism: Theory, European Practice, and Lessons for Asia," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 80, Asian Development Bank.
- Marián Dinga & Vilma Dingová, 2011. "Currency Union and Investment Flows: Estimating the Euro Effect on FDI," Working Papers IES 2011/25, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jul 2011.
- Jan Zilinsky, 2009. "What Determines Borrowing Costs of EU Countries," Working and Discussion Papers WP 4/2009, Research Department, National Bank of Slovakia.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2013. "What Does the 1930s’ Experience Tell Us about the Future of the Eurozone?," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 141, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Hogrefe, Jan & Jung, Benjamin & Kohler, Wilhelm K., 2012. "Putting currency misalignment into gravity: The currency union effect reconsidered," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 32, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Cecilio R. Tamarit Escalona & Estrella Gómez, 2011. "The euro effect on trade: evidence in gravity equations using panel cointegration techniques," Working Papers. Serie EC 2011-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.