Testable implications for the Bresnahan-Lau model of market competition
AbstractWe derive necessary and sufficient testable implications on the reduced form price and quantity functions for the Bresnahan-Lau model of market competition. The conditions are twofold. A first condition relates to the fact that the reduced form price function should correspond to an inverse demand function. The second condition captures that the degree of competition must be invariant to changes in the exogenous variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces10.11.
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Cherchye, Laurens & Demuynck, Thomas & De Rock, Bram, 2010. "Testable implications for the Bresnahan-Lau model of market competition," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/266900, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-12-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2010-12-23 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d’ASPREMONT, Claude & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, Rodolphe, 2004.
"Price-quantity competition with varying toughness,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2004088, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d’ASPREMONT, Claude & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET, Louis-André, .
"Competition for market share or for market size: oligopolistic equilibria with varying competitive toughness,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1973, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Claude d'Aspremont & Rodolphe Dos Santos Ferreira & Louis-André Gérard-Varet, 2007. "Competition For Market Share Or For Market Size: Oligopolistic Equilibria With Varying Competitive Toughness," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(3), pages 761-784, 08.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & DOS SANTOS-FERREIRA, Rodolphe & GÉRARD-VARET, Louis-André, 2003. "Competition for market share or for market size: oligopolistic equilibria with varying competitive toughness," CORE Discussion Papers 2003010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.