The Euro Zone Crisis and its Dimensions and Implications
AbstractThe sovereign debt problems in the peripheral economies of the euro zone has started to pose a serious threat to the main economies of the Europe and perhaps to the future of the 'euro‘ itself. Such a situation is a far cry from the optimism and grand vision that marked its launch. This paper is an attempt to understand the implications of the ongoing euro zone crisis and the factors that make it somewhat unique as the contradictions of a monetary union without a fiscal union are coming to fore. The paper shows that the crisis is not merely related to sovereign debt and bank financials, but also rooted in the real economy with structural problems. The manner in which the crisis is dealt is likely to be of far reaching significance to Europe and to the rest of the world. The stage seems set for a change in the way in which the euro zone will need to manage its monetary, fiscal and financial system. [Ministry of Finance WP]. URL:[http://finmin.nic.in/WorkingPaper/euro_zone_crisis.pdf].
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:4764.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Euro zone crisis; monetary; fiscal; financial system; advanced countries; budget deficits; national debt; inflation; interest rates; exchange rates; currency; Harmonized Index of Consumer Prices (HICP); monetary aggregate; interest rate;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2012. "Sovereign Credit Risk in the Eurozone," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 13(1), pages 123-136, January.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2007.
"The Breakup of the Euro Area,"
NBER Working Papers
13393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alves, Paulo & Francisco, Paulo, 2013. "The Impact of Institutional Environment in Firms´ Capital Structure during the Recent Financial Crises," MPRA Paper 51300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shailaja Fennell & Amandeep Kaur & Ajit Singh, 0.
"India and the Eurozone: A Commentary on the Political Economy of Adjustment and Correction,"
Contributions to Political Economy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 151-167.
- Fennell, Shailaja & Kaur, Amandeep & Singh, Ajit, 2013. "India and the Eurozone: a commentary on the political economy of adjustment and correction," MPRA Paper 53025, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C. J. Polychroniou, 2012. "The Mediterranean Conundrum: The Link between the State and the Macroeconomy, and the Disastrous Effects of the European Policy of Austerity," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive ppb_124, Levy Economics Institute.
- Isadora LAZAR & Madalina Ecaterina ANDREICA, 2013. "Current Account Balance, Private Debt And Euro Area Sovereign Debt Crisis: A Comparison Of North And South," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 37(2(46)), pages 40-52, December.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Ermişoğlu, Ergun, 2013. "Eurozone Debt Crisis and its Effects on Turkish Economy," MPRA Paper 50501, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Crisis del euro in Wikipedia (Spanish)
- Causes of the Eurozone crisis in Wikipedia (English)
- Европейский долговой кризис in Wikipedia (Russian)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.