Koreaâ€™s Unemployment Insurance in the 1998 Asian Financial Crisis and Adjustments in the 2008 Global Financial Crisis
AbstractThis paper analyzes the impacts of the 1998 and 2008 financial crises on the Korean labor market. They study the historical background of the Korean Employment Insurance System and the change of labor policies from the 1998 Asian financial crisis to the current 2008 global financial crisis. While it is arguable to say that the expansion of the social welfare system in the Republic of Korea is main source of difference between the two crises, it is certain that the social welfare system is one of the influential factors that helped overcome the problems of the global financial crisis. [ADBI Working Paper 214]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:3131.
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
Korean; labor; market; Asian; financial; global;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2010-11-13 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2010-11-13 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goulding, Kristine, 2013. "Gender dimensions of national employment policies : a 24-country study," ILO Working Papers 483583, International Labour Organization.
- Goulding, Kristine, 2013. "Gender dimensions of national employment policies : a 24-country study," ILO Working Papers 484309, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.