Technological innovation in creative clusters. The case of laser in conservation of artworks in Florence
AbstractThe field of laser application to the restoration and cleaning of cultural assets is amongst the most thriving developments of recent times. Ablative laser technological systems are able to clean and protect inestimable works of art subject to atmospheric agents and degradation over time. This new technology, which has been developing for the last forty year, is now available to restorers and has received a significant success all over Europe. An important contribution in the process of laser innovation has been carried out in Florence by local actors belonging to a creative cluster. The objects of the analysis are the genesis of this innovation in this local Florentine context, and the relationships among the main actors who have contributed in it. The study investigates how culture can play a part in the generation of ideas and innovations, and which are the creative environments that can favour it. In this context, the issue of laser technologies for the restoration of cultural heritage has been analysed as a case study in the various paths taken by the Creative Capacity of the Culture (CCC).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Estudis Regionals i Metropolitans de Barcelona in its series IERMB Working Paper in economics with number 1002.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Edifici MRA, planta 2, 08193 Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès)
Phone: 34-93 586 8880
Fax: 34-93 581 4433
Web page: http://www.iermb.uab.es/
More information through EDIRC
innovation; creative cluster; art restoration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-09-25 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CUL-2010-09-25 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-INO-2010-09-25 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaume Clapés).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.