Measuring The Changing Generosity Of Unemployment Benefits: Beyond Existing Indicators
AbstractThere has long been a consensus that generous unemployment benefits probably raise unemployment rates.The link has been difficult to demonstrate, since existing indicators on the generosity of unemployment benefits overlook key aspects of the system that may influence worker response.The author develops a new indicator for unemployment benefits in 21 countries in the 1950-2003 time period which combines the amount of the subsidy with their tax treatment, their duration and the conditions that must be met in order to collect them.The new indicator shows that benefit generosity has indeed risen over time and differs greatly among countries, opening up future directions for empirical research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment in its series Working Papers Economia with number wp05-18.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: María de Molina, 11. 28006 Madrid
Phone: +34 91 568 96 00
Web page: http://www.ie.edu/esp/claustro/claustro_areas_detalle.asp?id=5
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-29 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P Martin, 1998.
"What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from OECD Countries' Experiences,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Guy Debelle & Jeff Borland (ed.), Unemployment and the Australian Labour Market
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- John P. Martin, 1998. "What Works Among Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence From OECD Countries' Experiences," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 35, OECD Publishing.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726, August.
- Boeri, Tito, 1998.
"Enforcement of Employment Security Regulations, On-The-Job Search and Unemployment Duration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1850, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boeri, Tito, 1999. "Enforcement of employment security regulations, on-the-job search and unemployment duration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 65-89, January.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Rogerson, Richard, 1996.
"Institutions and Labour Reallocation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1519, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Nickell, 1997. "Unemployment and Labor Market Rigidities: Europe versus North America," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(3), pages 55-74, Summer.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Rottmann, Horst, 2009.
"Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20370, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2009. "Labour Market Institutions and the Employment Intensity of Output Growth," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(1), pages 22-35, February.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Feil, Michael & Braun, Christoph, 2008.
"What have we learned? Assessing labor market institutions and indicators,"
IAB Discussion Paper
200822, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Eichhorst, Werner & Feil, Michael & Braun, Christoph, 2008. "What Have We Learned? Assessing Labor Market Institutions and Indicators," IZA Discussion Papers 3470, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stéphane Pallage & Lyle Scruggs & Christian Zimmermann, 2009.
"Measuring Unemployment Insurance Generosity,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Lyle Scruggs & Christian Zimmermann & Stephane Pallage, 2008. "Measuring Unemployment Insurance Generosity," 2008 Meeting Papers 662, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Stephane Pallage & Lyle Scruggs & Christian Zimmermann, 2008. "Measuring Unemployment Insurance Generosity," Working papers 2008-42, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Pallage, Stéphane & Scruggs, Lyle & Zimmermann, Christian, 2008. "Measuring Unemployment Insurance Generosity," IZA Discussion Papers 3868, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gebhard Flaig & Horst Rottmann, 2011.
"Labour Market Institutions and Unemployment. An International Comparison,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3558, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rottmann, Horst & Flaig, Gebhard, 2011. "Labour market institutions and unemployment: An international comparison," OTH im Dialog: Weidener Diskussionspapiere 31, University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden (OTH).
- Sophie Guilloux & Enisse Kharroubi, 2008.
"Some preliminary evidence on the globalization-inflation nexus,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
18, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Guilloux, S. & Kharroubi, E., 2008. "Some Preliminary Evidence on the Globalization-Inflation Nexus," Working papers 195, Banque de France.
- Rottmann, Horst & Flaig, Gebhard, 2009. "Arbeitsmarktinstitutionen und die langfristige Entwicklung der Arbeitslosigkeit: Empirische Ergebnisse für 19 OECD-Länder," OTH im Dialog: Weidener Diskussionspapiere 17, University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden (OTH).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amada Marcos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.