Expiration Day Effect in Korean Stock Market: Wag the Dog?
AbstractDespite the great success of the derivatives market, several concerns were expressed regarding the additional volatility stemming from program trading during the expiration of derivatives. This paper examines the impact of the expiration of the KOSPI 200 index derivatives on cash market of Korea Stock Exchange (KSE). The KOSPI 200 index derivatives market has a unique settlement price determination process. The settlement price for the expiration of derivatives is determined by call auction during the last 10 minutes after the trades for matured derivatives are finalized. We analyze typical expiration day effects such as price, volatility, and volume effects. With high frequency data, we find that there are strong expiration day effects in the KSE and try to interpret the results with the unique settlement procedures of the KOSPI 200 cash and derivatives markets
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 758.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Derivatives; Expiration Day;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.