Investment Effect of Emission Permits Banking under Technological Uncertainty
AbstractThis paper analyzes investment effect of tradable permit program (TPP) when emission permits are bankable and there is technological uncertainty regarding abatement cost. In the absence of uncertainty, a firm's incentive to environmental investment decreases under a bankable TPP compared to a non-bankable TPP because the firm can use banked permits for future abatement compliance. However, when cost uncertainty is prevalent, there arises a real option value of environmental investment that may change a firm's investment strategy. The condition is derived under which a bankable TPP provides higher investment incentive than a non-bankable TPP.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 677.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
real option; uncertainty; bankable tradable emission permits;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.