Optimal Pollution Tax in Cournot Oligopsonistic Oligopoly
AbstractCournot oligopoly has been studied almost exclusively under the implicit assumption of perfectly competitive factor markets. However,oligopolistic firms procure often factors of production from imperfectly competitive markets. Okuguchi(1998,2000) has analyzed Cournot oligopoly under the condition of imperfectly competitive factor markets,i.e.Cournot oligopsonistic oligopoly. Some economists have analyzed the optimal pollution tax rate which maximizes the net total social surplus for Cournot oligopoly(see Barnett(1980),Baumol and Oates(1980),Levin(1985),Okuguchi and Yamazaki(1994),Simpson(1995) and Okuguchi(2003)). A general finding is that the optimal pollution tax rate may be higher,lower or equal to the marginal value of the environmental damage. In this paper I will derive a general formula for the optimal pollution tax within Cournot oligopsonistic oligopoly where both product and factor markets are imperfectly competitive. In Section 2,I will prove that there exists a unique Cournot equilibrium for oligopsonistic oligopoly,given the level of the pollution tax rate. In Section 3,I will derive the optimal pollution tax rate capitalizing on the existence result in Section 2. I will clarify economic implications of the optimal pollution tax formula for some special cases. The final Section concludes
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings with number 29.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
optimal pollution tax; Cournot oligopsonistic oligopoly; environmental damage;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-IND-2004-11-22 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2004-10-30 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-RES-2004-10-30 (Resource Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joan Canton & Antoine Soubeyran & Hubert Stahn, 2008. "Environmental Taxation and Vertical Cournot Oligopolies: How Eco-industries Matter," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(3), pages 369-382, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.