AbstractPossibly hitherto unnoticed cointegrating relationships among integrated components of data series are identified. If the components are cointegrated, the data are said to have hidden cointegration. The implication of hidden cointegration on modeling data series themselves is discussed through what we call crouching error correction models. We show that hidden cointegration is a simple example of nonlinear cointegration. Economic examples are provided with U.S. short-term and long-term interest rates and output and unemployment, for which no evidence of standard cointegration is found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 with number 92.
Date of creation: 29 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Granger, Clive W.J. & YOON, GAWON, 2002. "Hidden Cointegration," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt9qn5f61j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-07-12 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-07-08 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katrakilidis, Constantinos & Trachanas, Emmanouil, 2012. "What drives housing price dynamics in Greece: New evidence from asymmetric ARDL cointegration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1064-1069.
- Afshin Honarvar, 2010. "Modeling of Asymmetry between Gasoline and Crude Oil Prices: A Monte Carlo Comparison," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 237-262, October.
- Trachanas, Emmanouil & Katrakilidis, Constantinos, 2013. "The dynamic linkages of fiscal and current account deficits: New evidence from five highly indebted European countries accounting for regime shifts and asymmetries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 502-510.
- Yann Schorderet, 2002. "A Nonlinear Generalization of Cointegration : A Note on Hidden Cointegration," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 2002.03, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2007.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
65, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Kwapil, Claudia & Scharler, Johann, 2010. "Interest rate pass-through, monetary policy rules and macroeconomic stability," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 236-251, March.
- Scharler, Johann & Kwapil, Claudia, 2007. "Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability," Working Papers 118, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2011. "Asymmetric generalized impulse responses and variance decompositions with an application," MPRA Paper 31700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David G. McMillan, 2009. "Non-linear interest rate dynamics and forecasting: evidence for US and Australian interest rates," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 139-155.
- Honarvar, Afshin, 2009. "Asymmetry in retail gasoline and crude oil price movements in the United States: An application of hidden cointegration technique," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 395-402, May.
- Lardic, Sandrine & Mignon, Valérie, 2008. "Oil prices and economic activity: An asymmetric cointegration approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 847-855, May.
- Lardic, Sandrine & Mignon, Valerie, 2006. "The impact of oil prices on GDP in European countries: An empirical investigation based on asymmetric cointegration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3910-3915, December.
- Alexakis, Christos & Dasilas, Apostolos & Grose, Chris, 2013. "Asymmetric dynamic relations between stock prices and mutual fund units in Japan. An application of hidden cointegration technique," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 1-8.
- Yann Schorderet, 2003. "Asymmetric Cointegration," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 2003.01, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Abdulnasser, Hatemi-J, 2011. "Hidden panel cointegration," MPRA Paper 31604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karantininis, Kostas & Katrakylidis, Kostas & Persson, Morten, 2011. "Price Transmission in the Swedish Pork Chain: Asymmetric non linear ARDL," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114772, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2012. "Is the UAE stock market integrated with the USA stock market? New evidence from asymmetric causality testing," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 273-280.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2012. "Asymmetric causality tests with an application," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 447-456, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.