AbstractPossibly hitherto unnoticed cointegrating relationships among integrated components of data series are identified. If the components are cointegrated, the data are said to have hidden cointegration. The implication of hidden cointegration on modeling data series themselves is discussed through what we call crouching error correction models. We show that hidden cointegration is a simple example of nonlinear cointegration. Economic examples are provided with U.S. short-term and long-term interest rates and output and unemployment, for which no evidence of standard cointegration is found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 with number 92.
Date of creation: 29 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Granger, Clive W.J. & YOON, GAWON, 2002. "Hidden Cointegration," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt9qn5f61j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-07-12 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-07-08 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Honarvar, Afshin, 2009. "Asymmetry in retail gasoline and crude oil price movements in the United States: An application of hidden cointegration technique," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 395-402, May.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2012. "Is the UAE stock market integrated with the USA stock market? New evidence from asymmetric causality testing," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 273-280.
- Yann Schorderet, 2003. "Asymmetric Cointegration," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 2003.01, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2007.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability,"
118, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Kwapil, Claudia & Scharler, Johann, 2010. "Interest rate pass-through, monetary policy rules and macroeconomic stability," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 236-251, March.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2007. "Interest Rate Pass-Through, Monetary Policy Rules and Macroeconomic Stability," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 65, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Lardic, Sandrine & Mignon, Valérie, 2008. "Oil prices and economic activity: An asymmetric cointegration approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 847-855, May.
- Abdulnasser, Hatemi-J, 2011. "Hidden panel cointegration," MPRA Paper 31604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David G. McMillan, 2009. "Non-linear interest rate dynamics and forecasting: evidence for US and Australian interest rates," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 139-155.
- Lardic, Sandrine & Mignon, Valerie, 2006. "The impact of oil prices on GDP in European countries: An empirical investigation based on asymmetric cointegration," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3910-3915, December.
- Yann Schorderet, 2002. "A Nonlinear Generalization of Cointegration : A Note on Hidden Cointegration," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 2002.03, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Afshin Honarvar, 2010. "Modeling of Asymmetry between Gasoline and Crude Oil Prices: A Monte Carlo Comparison," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 36(3), pages 237-262, October.
- Karantininis, Kostas & Katrakylidis, Kostas & Persson, Morten, 2011. "Price Transmission in the Swedish Pork Chain: Asymmetric non linear ARDL," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114772, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Katrakilidis, Constantinos & Trachanas, Emmanouil, 2012. "What drives housing price dynamics in Greece: New evidence from asymmetric ARDL cointegration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1064-1069.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2011. "Asymmetric generalized impulse responses and variance decompositions with an application," MPRA Paper 31700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.