Gays' Pay in the UK
AbstractThis paper attempts, for the first time for the UK, to analyse the earnings of homosexuals and test for the possible existence of sexual orientation discrimination. Homosexuals are identified as individuals living with "same sex partners". Using twenty quarters of the LFS, we identify 630 homosexuals. Decomposition analysis indicates that although gays earn more than non-gays they are still discriminated against. However, looking at gay men and lesbians separately we find that it is homosexual men who are subject to discrimination and therefore are likely to benefit from legislation that has to be in place in the UK by the end of 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 with number 8.
Date of creation: 29 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-08 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- It pays to be gay
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2007-07-27 10:19:22
- Marriage, sexuality & wages
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2009-10-26 15:09:19
- Gay vs black discrimination
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2007-08-02 10:30:49
- Ruth Kelly and liberal tyranny
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2006-05-11 09:10:36
- The pink pound
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2006-01-23 13:50:47
- Ahmed, Ali M. & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2008. "Sexual Orientation and Earnings in Sweden," Working Papers in Economics 285, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2005.
- Jepsen, Christopher & Jepsen, Lisa K., 2009. "Does home ownership vary by sexual orientation?," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 307-315, May.
- Madeline Zavodny, 2008.
"Is there a ‘marriage premium’ for gay men?,"
Review of Economics of the Household,
Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 369-389, December.
- List, John A. & Rasul, Imran, 2011.
"Field Experiments in Labor Economics,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Christopher Carpenter, 2008. "Sexual orientation, income, and non-pecuniary economic outcomes: new evidence from young lesbians in Australia," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 391-408, December.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2014-02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nick Drydakis, . "Sexual Orientation, Demography and Labor Relations," Working Papers 0906, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Ahmed, Ali M. & Andersson, Lina & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2008. "Are lesbians discriminated against in the rental housing market? Evidence from a correspondence testing experiment," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 234-238, September.
- Thierry Laurent & Ferhat Mihoubi, 2012.
"Sexual Orientation and Wage Discrimination in France: The Hidden Side of the Rainbow,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 487-527, December.
- Laurent, Thierry & Mihoubi, Ferhat, 2011. "Sexual orientation and wage discrimination in France: the hidden side of the rainbow," MPRA Paper 33723, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bodvarsson, Orn B. & Sessions, John G., 2011. "The measurement of pay discrimination between job assignments," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 297-309, June.
- Amélie Lafrance & Casey Warman & Frances Woolley, 2009.
"Sexual Identity and the Marriage Premium,"
Carleton Economic Papers
09-08, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Ali Ahmed & Mats Hammarstedt, 2010. "Sexual orientation and earnings: a register data-based approach to identify homosexuals," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 835-849, June.
- Plug, Erik & Berkhout, Peter, 2008. "Sexual Orientation, Disclosure and Earnings," IZA Discussion Papers 3290, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ali M Ahmed & Lina Andersson & Mats Hammarstedt, 2011. "Sexual orientation and occupational rank," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2422-2433.
- Stephan Humpert, 2012. "Somewhere over the Rainbow: Sexual Orientation Discrimination in Germany," Working Paper Series in Economics 245, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.