Shareholder value creators in the S&P 500: Year 2004
AbstractDuring 2004, 64% of the companies in the S&P 500 created value, while in 2003 the figure was 87%. The market value of the 500 companies was $11.2 trillion in 2004, compared to $10.1 trillion in 2003. The top shareholder value creators in 2004 were Exxon, General Electric, Ebay, Johnson & Johnson and Qualcomm. We define created shareholder value and provide the ranking of created shareholder value for the 500 companies. We also calculate the created shareholder value of the 500 companies during the twelve-year period 1993-2004. General Electric was the top shareholder value creator and AT&T was the top shareholder value destroyer during the twelve-year period. On average, the small market capitalization companies of the S&P were more profitable. Between 1998 and 2004, the volatility of the S&P as a whole fell, but the volatility of its components increased on the average.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IESE Business School in its series IESE Research Papers with number D/580.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 14 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
shareholder value creation; created shareholder value; equity market value; shareholder value added; shareholder return; required return to equity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2005-04-09 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2005-04-09 (Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2005-04-09 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gonul Colak, 2012. "IPO characteristics of index firms," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(12), pages 1134-1159.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Jimenez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.