The dynamic adjustment towards target capital structures of firms in transition economies
AbstractThis paper studies the capital structure dynamics of central and eastern European firms to better understand the quantitative and qualitative development of financial systems in this region. The dynamic model used endogenises the target leverage as well as the adjustment speed towards these targets. It is applied to microeconomic data for 10 countries. We find that during the transition process firms generally increased their leverage, lowering the gap between actual and target leverage. Profitability and age of firms are the most robust determinants of their capital structure targets. Older firms attract more bank debt, whereas profitability decreases firms’ leverage targets. While banking system development has in general enabled firms to get closer to their leverage targets, information asymmetries between firms and banks are still important. As a result, firms prefer internal finance above bank debt (pecking order behaviour) and adjust leverage only slowly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist in its series Working Papers with number 87.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in De Haas, R.T.A. and H.M.M. Peeters (2006), The dynamic adjustment towards target capital structures of firms in transition economies, Economics of Transition,14(1), 133-169.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
capital structure dynamics; transition economies; financial system development;
Other versions of this item:
- Ralph Haas & Marga Peeters, 2006. "The dynamic adjustment towards target capital structures of firms in transition economies ," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(1), pages 133-169, 03.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dirk Hackbarth & Jianjun Miao & Erwan Morellec, 2005.
"Capital Structure, Credit Risk, and Macroeconomic Conditions,"
CEMA Working Papers
439, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Hackbarth, Dirk & Miao, Jianjun & Morellec, Erwan, 2006. "Capital structure, credit risk, and macroeconomic conditions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 519-550, December.
- Dirk Hackbarth & Jianjun Miao & Erwan Morellec, 2004. "Capital Structure, Credit Risk, and Macroeconomic Conditions," FAME Research Paper Series rp125, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Dirk Hackbarth & Junjian Miao & Erwan Morellec, 2005. "Capital Structure, Credit Risk, and Macroeconomic Conditions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Macroeconomics Working Papers Series WP2005-005, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Fabrizio Coricelli & Nigel Driffield & Sarmistha Pal & Isabelle Roland, 2010. "Microeconomic implications of credit booms: evidence from emerging Europe," Working Papers 119, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Kupavych, Alexander, 2007. "Studying Investment Patterns In Russian Agriculture," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7803, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ludwig Reinhard & Steven Li, 2010. "A note on capital structure target adjustment – Indonesian evidence," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(3), pages 245-259, July.
- Jõeveer, Karin, 2013. "Firm, country and macroeconomic determinants of capital structure: Evidence from transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 294-308.
- Anastasiya Shamshur, 2009. "Is the Stability of Leverage Ratios Determined by the Stability of the Economy?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp393, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha & Roland, Isabelle, 2009.
"Excess Leverage and Productivity Growth in Emerging Economies: Is There A Threshold Effect?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7617, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Coricelli, Fabrizio & Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha & Roland, Isabelle, 2010. "Excess Leverage and Productivity Growth in Emerging Economies: Is There A Threshold Effect?," IZA Discussion Papers 4834, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mari Avarmaa & Aaro Hazak & Kadri Männasoo, 2011. "Capital structure formation in multinational and local companies in the Baltic States," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 125-146, July.
- Fungácová , Zuzana & Kochanova, Anna & Weill, Laurent, 2014. "Does money buy credit? Firm-level evidence on bribery and bank debt," BOFIT Discussion Papers 4/2014, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Nakhoda, Aadil, 2012. "The influence of financial leverage of firms on their international trading activities," MPRA Paper 35765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Simonovska, Ana & Gjosevski, Dragan & Campos, Monica, 2012. "Capital Structure And Financial Performance Of Agricultural Companies – Evidences From The Macedonian Agricultural Sector In Transition," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139501, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Karin Joeveer, 2006.
"Sources of Capital Structure: Evidence from Transition Countries,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp306, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Karin Jõeveer, 2006. "Sources of capital structure : evidence from transition countries," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2006-02, Bank of Estonia, revised 12 Nov 2006.
- Morar Triandafil, Cristina & Poanta, Dorina, 2011. "Central and East European Corporate Finance: Between Commonality and Heterogeneity," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 132-161, September.
- Mariya Hake, 2012. "Banking Sector Concentration and Firm Indebtedness: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 48-68.
- Zinych, Nataliya & Odening, Martin, 2009. "How Costly are (Agricultural) Investments during Economic Transition? A Critical Literature Appraisal," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50319, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zuzana Fungácová & Anna Kochanova & Laurent Weill, 2014. "Does Money Buy Credit? Firm-Level Evidence on Bribery and Bank Debt," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2014-05, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.