Economic Development in OECD Countries during the 20th Century
AbstractWe present an analysis of economic growth and cycles in main EU, USA, Japan and other OECD countries during the period 1900-1997, and more detailed data and analysis of main economic aggregates for 25 OECD countries during the period 1964-94, including comparisons of Private and Public Consumption, Investment, External Trade and Population. The economic comparisons have into account both exchange rates and purchasing power parities. Some important aspects of demand and supply are analysed in relation with their influence both on economic growth and cycles. We use exponential rates of growth which are interesting for seeing the important influence that moderation of fertility rates have had in the increase of real GDP by inhabitant in OECD countries in comparison with other areas of the World. OECD countries have been generally advanced in education development and that has been one of the more important factors that explain their good performance during the first and second half of 20th century.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics. in its series Economic Development with number 49.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avda Xoan XXIII S/N, 15704 Santiago de Compostela
Phone: (981) 56 31 00 Ext: 11518
Fax: (981) 56 36 37
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/welcomei.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- O51 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - U.S.; Canada
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arranz, M., 2002.
"Evolucion Del Consumo Privado en Los Paises de la OCDE en 1970-1994: Modelos econometricos de analisis de elasticidades,"
56, University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics..
- Arranz, M., 1997. "Evolucion Del Consumo Privado en Los Paises de la OCDE en 1970-1994: Modelos econométricos de analisis de elasticidades," Faculty of Economics 11, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Faculty of Economics, Applied Econometric and Quantitative Studies.
- GUISAN, Maria-Carmen & AGUAYO, Eva, 2010. "Education, Gender Equality, Social Well-Being And Economic Development In American Countries, 2000-2010," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(2).
- GUISAN, Carmen & Neira, Isabel, 2006. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Human Capital on World Development, 1960-2004," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(1), pages 17-34.
- Guisan, M.C., 2009. "Government Effectiveness, Education, Economic Development And Well-Being: Analysis Of European Countries In Comparison With The United States And Canada, 2000-2007," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.