Les effets de la parenté sur l'emploi
AbstractIn this paper, we study the impact of the presence of young children on parents' labour market participation and employment patterns and their implication in terms of working hours and employment continuity in 24 European countries. The results show that motherhood has an important and negative impact on female labour market participation both in terms of part-time and inactivity in some countries. The fatherhood effect is not clear and very different through countries. In general, paternity increases the employment's probability but has no significant effect on the number of working hours.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series DULBEA Working Papers with number 08-21.RS.
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: ULB, DULBEA
parenthood; mothers'employment; labour market participation; part-time work; dual-earner couple;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles Plaigin, 2009. "Exploratory study on the presence of cultural and institutional growth spillovers," DULBEA Working Papers 09-03.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2008.
"Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun,"
Working Papers CEB
08-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bernal, Oscar & Oosterlinck, Kim & Szafarz, Ariane, 2010. "Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1193-1205, November.
- Oscar Bernal Diaz & Kim Oosterlinck & Ariane Szafarz, 2009. "Observing bailout expectations during a total eclipse of the sun," DULBEA Working Papers 09-01.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.