Sunk Costs, Market Structure, and Growth
AbstractI discuss a model of endogenous innovation that brings to the forefront the in-house R&D activity of the modern corporation. In a symmetric oligopoly, firms undertake cost-reducing R&D subject to a research technology with incomplete spillovers. Concentration of sales and R&D resources determine the optimal scale and the efficiency of firms' R&D operations and, thus, the rate of productivity growth. In addition, R&D expenditures (a sunk cost) are one component of total fixed costs and determine the number of active firms in zero-profit equilibrium. This feed-back makes the price, investment, entry, and exit decisions interdependent. A rich characterization of the balanced growth path, defined as the rate of growth and the number of firms that the market supports in general equilibrium, emerges. Multiple equilibria may exist and firms' expectations about rivalry determine the economy's performance.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Duke University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 95-34.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC REVIEW, Vol. 37, 1996, pages 895-923
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics Duke University 213 Social Sciences Building Box 90097 Durham, NC 27708-0097
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- E10 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - General
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.