Evaluating the Impacts of the Current Economic Slowdown on (Un)employment in Vietnam
AbstractThis paper examines the impacts of the current economic slowdown on employment generation and unemployment in Vietnam. The study reports that as the country has experienced a slowdown, there would be an employment shortfall of around half million jobs in 2009. And if the growth prospect of 2010 is not improved compared to that of 2009, Vietnam would encounter a shortfall of more than one million jobs in 2010. As a consequence, our projected unemployment rates are higher than that of 2008 by nearly one and a half percentage point in 2009 and two percentage points in 2010. The findings are relatively robust under different assumptions of the economic growth. The study provides a somewhat different outlook from what has been suggested by the media - which has tended to highlight jobs losses taking place in certain parts of the country. The results of our analysis suggest that government efforts to stave off the effects of the crisis should have been focused more strongly on employment and job creation
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 01.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Economic slowdown; employment; employment elasticity; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dang, Vinh & Do, Trang & Nguyen, Cuong & Phung, Thu & Phung, Tung, 2013. "Achievements and challenges in the progress of reaching millennium development goals of Vietnam," MPRA Paper 54207, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dang, Vinh & Do, Trang & Nguyen, Cuong & Phung, Thu & Phung, Tung, 2013. "Economic Development, Inequality and Climate Change in Vietnam," MPRA Paper 54190, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.