Asymmetric Nash Bargaining Solutions: A Simple Nash Program
AbstractThis article proposes a simple Nash program. Both our axiomatic characterization and our noncooperative procedure consider each distinct asymmetric and symmetric Nash solution. Our noncooperative procedure is a generalization of the simplest known sequential Nash demand game analyzed by Rubinstein, Safra and Thomson (1992). We then provide the simplest known axiomatic characterization of the class of asymmetric Nash solutions, in which we use only Nash’s crucial Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives axiom and an asymmetric modification of the well-known Midpoint Domination axiom.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance in its series Economics Series with number 2012_9.
Date of creation: 17 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood 3125
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
Asymmetric Nash bargaining solutions; Nash program; axiomatic characterization; noncooperative foundations; economics of search.;
Other versions of this item:
- Anbarci, Nejat & Sun, Ching-jen, 2013. "Asymmetric Nash bargaining solutions: A simple Nash program," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 211-214.
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2012-12-06 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-GTH-2012-12-06 (Game Theory)
- NEP-HPE-2012-12-06 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2012-12-06 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2008.
"Non-cooperative Support for the Asymmetric Nash Bargaining solution,"
018, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2010. "Non-cooperative support for the asymmetric Nash bargaining solution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1951-1967, September.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Guido Menzio & Randall Wright, 2008.
"Inflation and Unemployment in the Long Run,"
NBER Working Papers
13924, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Guido Menzio & Randall Wright, 2008. "Inflation and Unemployment in the Long Run," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-012, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Guido Menzio & Randall Wright, 2009. "Inflation and unemployment in the long run," IEW - Working Papers 442, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Aleksander Berentsen & Guido Menzio & Randall Wright, 2009. "Inflation and Unemployment in the Long Run," Kiel Working Papers 1501, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Randall Wright & Guido Menzio & Aleksander Berentsen, 2008. "Inflation and Unemployment in the Long Run," 2008 Meeting Papers 34, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Klaus Kultti & Hannu Vartiainen, 2010.
"Multilateral non-cooperative bargaining in a general utility space,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 677-689, October.
- Hannu Vartiainen & Klaus Kultti, 2007. "Multilateral Non-Cooperative Bargaining in a General Utility Space," Discussion Papers 19, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1972. "A Generalized Nash Solution for Two-Person Bargaining Games with Incomplete Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(5-Part-2), pages 80-106, January.
- Laruelle, Annick & Valenciano, Federico, 2008. "Noncooperative foundations of bargaining power in committees and the Shapley-Shubik index," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 341-353, May.
- Sobel, Joel, 1981. "Distortion of Utilities and the Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 597-619, May.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Melvyn Cole & Randall Wright, .
"A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Search, Bargaining, and Money,"
CARESS Working Papres
97-9, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Coles, Melvyn G. & Wright, Randall, 1998. "A Dynamic Equilibrium Model of Search, Bargaining, and Money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 32-54, January.
- Trejos, Alberto & Wright, Randall, 1995. "Search, Bargaining, Money, and Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 118-41, February.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Safra, Zvi & Thomson, William, 1992. "On the Interpretation of the Nash Bargaining Solution and Its Extension to Non-expected Utility Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1171-86, September.
- Tai-wei Hu & John Kennan & Neil Wallace, 2009.
"Coalition-Proof Trade and the Friedman Rule in the Lagos-Wright Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 116-137, 02.
- Tai-wei Hu & John Kennan & Neil Wallace, 2007. "Coalition-Proof Trade and the Friedman Rule in the Lagos-Wright Model," NBER Working Papers 13310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlsson, Hans, 1991. "A Bargaining Model Where Parties Make Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1487-96, September.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1987. "Search, Wage Bargains and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 473-83, July.
- Howard, J. V., 1992. "A social choice rule and its implementation in perfect equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 142-159, February.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Nash, John, 1953. "Two-Person Cooperative Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 21(1), pages 128-140, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xueli Tang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.