Internationalisation and Alliance Formation: Evidence from Turkish SMEs
AbstractThis study explores the issue of internationalization through forming alliances with foreign capital in the small business sector in Turkey. Using a sample of 257 SMEs from this emerging market economy, collected via a field study, we investigate the impact of size (measured by investment levels and number of workers), sectoral preferences, factors causing low capacity utilization, management control, and the education level of CEOs on the alliance decisions of small firms. Multinomial logit estimations are employed to obtain a detailed and rich set of results. Overall, we find that Turkish SMEs would like foreign capital to help them expand their production capacity, while also serving as a conduit to convey their products to world markets. Size-specific, sectorspecific and management-specific factors are identified in the alliance behavior. We also investigate whether alliance motivation is a product of unidimensional or multidimensional decision-making process on the part of SMEs. Size, as shown by investment, and factors causing low capacity utilization are found to be the main contributors to the multidimensionality of the alliance motivation through influencing the alliance behavior predicted by other firm attributes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance in its series Economics Series with number 2006_05.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: 13 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood 3125
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
Internationalization; Alliances; Foreign Capital; SMEs; Turkey;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips McDougall, Patricia & Shane, Scott & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1994. "Explaining the formation of international new ventures: The limits of theories from international business research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(6), pages 469-487, November.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Preston, Lee, 1997. " Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Technology, and Globalization: Introduction to a Special Issue on Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in the Global Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-6, February.
- Madsen, Tage Koed & Servais, Per, 1997. "The internationalization of Born Globals: An evolutionary process?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 561-583, December.
- Otto Andersen, 1993. "On the Internationalization Process of Firms: A Critical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 209-231, June.
- Minguzzi, Antonio & Passaro, Renato, 2001. "The network of relationships between the economic environment and the entrepreneurial culture in small firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 181-207, March.
- Mateja Drnovsek, 2004. "Job Creation Process in a Transition Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 179-188, October.
- Etemad, Hamid & Wright, Richard W, 2003. " Internationalization of SMEs: Toward a New Paradigm," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 1-4, February.
- Lopez-Gracia, Jose & Aybar-Arias, Cristina, 2000. " An Empirical Approach to the Financial Behaviour of Small and Medium Sized Companies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 55-63, February.
- Heinz Hollenstein, 2005. "Determinants of International Activities: Are SMEs Different?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(5), pages 431-450, 06.
- Erzan, Refik & Filiztekin, Alpay, 1997. "Competitiveness of Turkish SMSEs in the Customs Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 881-892, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xueli Tang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.