Time-Varying Hedge Ratios: An Application to the Indian Stock Futures Market
AbstractUsing different unconditional and conditional versions of the bivariate BEKK-GARCH model of Engle and Kroner, we calculate time-varying hedge ratios for Indian stock futures market involving a cross-section of seven firms across a spectrum of industries. These models are solved not only with the usual square root exponent but also analysed with an unrestricted version where the exponent is set to one. Our results show time-varying hedge ratios with the exponent set to one improve over hedge ratios obtained from the square root exponent setup as well as over static hedge ratios calculated from the error correction types of models. Time-varying optimal hedge ratio calculation in this new framework makes perfect sense in terms of portfolio allocation decision involving individual stock futures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance in its series Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning and Insurance Series with number 2006_03.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 20 Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood 3125
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
Unrestricted BEKK-GARCH; Stock Futures; Dynamic Hedging;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Anil K. Bera & Philip Garcia & Jae-Sun Roh, 1997. "Estimation of Time-Varying Hedge Ratios for Corn and Soybeans: BGARCH and Random Coefficient Approaches," Finance 9712007, EconWPA.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Myers, Robert J., 2002.
"Testing for Constant Hedge Ratios in Commodity Markets: A Multivariate Garch Approach,"
Staff General Research Papers
1945, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Myers, Robert J., 2002. "Testing for constant hedge ratios in commodity markets: a multivariate GARCH approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 589-603, December.
- GianCarlo Moschini & Robert J. Myers, 2001. "Testing for Constant Hedge Ratios in Commodity Markets: A Multivariate GARCH Approach," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp268, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
- Yeh, Sally C & Gannon, Gerard L, 2000. " Comparing Trading Performance of the Constant and Dynamic Hedge Models: A Note," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 155-60, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xueli Tang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.