Trade Induced Technical Bias and Wage Inequalities: a Theory of Defensive Innovation
AbstractThis paper considers a dynamic North South model of international trade and innovations in which firms can endogenously bias the direction of technological change. We show that, when there is a differential degree of protection of property rights between the two regions, innovating firms face a trade off between delocalization in South and more secure property rights in North.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure) in its series DELTA Working Papers with number 2000-02.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
INNOVATIONS ; INTERNATIONAL TRADE;
Other versions of this item:
- Thoenig, Mathias & Verdier, Thierry, 2000. "Trade Induced Technical Bias And Wage Inequalities: A Theory Of Defensive Innovations," CEPR Discussion Papers 2401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mathias Thoenig, 2000. "Trade Induced Technical Bias and Wage Inequalities: A Theory of Defensive Innovation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1931, Econometric Society.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paulo Bastos & Odd Rune Straume, 2012.
"Globalization, product differentiation, and wage inequality,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(3), pages 857-878, August.
- Paulo Bastos & Odd Rune Straume, 2010. "Globalization, Product Differentiation and Wage Inequality," Research Department Publications 4679, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Paulo Bastos & Odd Rune Straume, 2010. "Globalization, product differentiation and wage inequality," NIPE Working Papers 8/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Paulo Bastos & Odd Rune Straume, . "Globalization, product differentiation and wage inequality," Discussion Papers 10/03, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Patrick Artus, 2006. "Intégration commerciale avec des pays émergents ayant des ressources importantes en main-d'œuvre qualifiée. Quels effets pour les pays européens ?," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(4), pages 673-704.
- Gino Gancia & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2005.
"Horizontal Innovation in the Theory of Growth and Development,"
200, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Gancia, Gino & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2005. "Horizontal Innovation in the Theory of Growth and Development," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 3, pages 111-170 Elsevier.
- Gino Gancia & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2005. "Horizontal innovation in the theory of growth and development," Economics Working Papers 831, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Neary, J Peter, 2001.
"Competition, Trade and Wages,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2732, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thoenig, Mathias & Verdier, Thierry, 2002.
"A Theory of Defensive Skill-based Innovation and Globalization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3416, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mathias Thoenig & Thierry Verdier, 2003. "A Theory of Defensive Skill-Biased Innovation and Globalization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 709-728, June.
- Neary, J Peter, 2002.
"Foreign Competition and Wage Inequality,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 680-93, November.
- Maurin, Eric & Thesmar, David & Thoenig, Mathias, 2002. "Globalization and the demand for skill: An Export Based Channel," CEPR Discussion Papers 3406, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Koeniger, Winfried, 2002. "Defensive Innovations," IZA Discussion Papers 454, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Koeniger, Winfried, 2001. "Trade, Labor Market Rigidities, and Government-Financed Technological Change," IZA Discussion Papers 241, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.