Asymptotics for Semiparametric Econometric Models: II. Stochastic Equicontinuity and Nonparametric Kernel Estimation
AbstractThis paper presents several stochastic equicontinuity results that are useful for establishing the asymptotic properties of estimators and tests in parametric, semiparametric, and nonparametric econometric models. In particular, they can be applied straightforwardly in the estimation and testing results of Andrews (1989b). The paper takes various stochastic equicontinuity results from the probability literature, which rely on entropy conditions of one sort or another, and provides primitive conditions under which the entropy conditions hold. This yields stochastic equicontinuity results that are readily applicable in a variety of contexts. This paper also presents a number of consistency results for nonparametric kernel estimators of density and regression functions and their derivatives. These results are particularly useful in semiparametric estimation and testing problems that rely on preliminary nonparametric estimators, as in Andrews (1989b). The results allow for near epoch dependent non-identically distributed random variables, data-dependent bandwidth sequences, preliminary estimation of parameters (e.g., regression based on residuals), and nonparametric regression on index functions. Some of the results make use of the stochastic equicontinuity results of the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 909R.
Length: 98 pages
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision: Jul 1990
Publication status: Published in Econometrica, 62(1), 1994
Note: CFP 863.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yoon-Jae Whang & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1991.
"Tests of Specification for Parametric and Semiparametric Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
968, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Whang, Yoon-Jae & Andrews, Donald W. K., 1993. "Tests of specification for parametric and semiparametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 277-318.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman Swanson & Walter Distaso, 2006.
"Predictive Density Estimators for Daily Volatility Based on the Use of Realized Measures,"
Departmental Working Papers
200620, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Corradi, Valentina & Distaso, Walter & Swanson, Norman R., 2009. "Predictive density estimators for daily volatility based on the use of realized measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 119-138, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & David Pollard, 1990. "A Functional Central Limit Theorem for Strong Mixing Stochastic Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 951, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- George S Olley & Ariel Pakes, 1992. "The Dynamics Of Productivity In The Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Papers 92-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.