Product Warranties and Double Moral Hazard
AbstractThis paper explores a model of warranties in which moral hazard problems play a key role. The goal is to understand the important characteristics of warranties including their provision of incomplete insurance and the relationship between product quality and coverage. We analyze a model in which buyers and sellers take actions which affect a product's performance. Since these actions are not cooperatively determined, an incentives problem arises. We characterize the optimal warranty contract and undertake comparative statics to determine the predicted correlation of warranty coverage and product quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 716.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Aug 1984
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Rand Journal of Economics (Spring 1985), 16(1): 103-113
Note: CFP 630.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cason, Timothy & Savikhin, Anya & Sheremeta, Roman, 2011.
"Behavioral Spillovers in Coordination Games,"
52106, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Dur & Arjan Non & Hein Roelfsema, 2008. "Reciprocity and Incentive Pay in the Workplace," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-080/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Robert Dur & Arjan Non & Hein Roelfsema, 2008.
"Reciprocity and Incentive Pay in the Workplace,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-080/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Dur, Robert & Non, Arjan & Roelfsema, Hein, 2010. "Reciprocity and Incentive Pay in the Workplace," IZA Discussion Papers 4782, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Dur & Arjan Non & Hein Roelfsema, 2009. "Reciprocity and Incentive Pay in the Workplace," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 177, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Chang, Juin-jen & Lai, Ching-chong & Lin, Chung-cheng, 2003. "Profit sharing, worker effort, and double-sided moral hazard in an efficiency wage model," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 75-93, March.
- María Paz Espinosa & Jaromír Kovárík & Giovanni Ponti, 2010.
"Strategic Interaction and Conventions,"
10/09, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Boom, Anette, 1998. "Product risk sharing by warranties in a monopoly market with risk-averse consumers," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 241-257, January.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Lutz, Nancy A, 1993.
"Warranties, Durability, and Maintenance: Two-Sided Moral Hazard in a Continuous-Time Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 575-97, July.
- Nancy A. Lutz & Philip H. Dybvig, 1989. "Warranties, Durability, and Maintenance: Two Sided Moral Hazard in a Continuous-Time Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 922, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Centner, Terence J. & Wetzstein, Michael E., 1995. "Obligations And Penalties Under Lemon Laws: Automobiles Versus Tractors," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Mark Parry & Dipak Jain, 1987. "Quantity Discount Schemes for Channel Coordination," Discussion Papers 733, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Steven A. Matthews & Nicola Persico, 2007.
"Information Acquisition and Refunds for Returns,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
54, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Nancy A. Lutz, 1988. "Warranties as Signals Under Consumer Moral Hazard," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 867, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Aidan Hollis, 1996. "Exclusivity Restrictions in Markets with Adverse Selection: The Case of Extended Warranties," Working Papers ecpap-96-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Schneider, Udo, 1998. "Der Arzt als Agent des Patienten: Zur Übertragbarkeit der Principal-Agent-Theorie auf die Arzt-Patient-Beziehung," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Diskussionspapiere 02/1998, Ernst Moritz Arndt University of Greifswald, Faculty of Law and Economics.
- Abraham Wickelgren, . "The Inefficiency of Contractually-Based Liability with Rational Consumers," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1061, American Law & Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.