Vector Autoregressive Models with Structural Changes in Regression Coefficients and in Variance-Covariance Matrices
AbstractThis paper analyzes vector autoregressive models (VAR) with multiple structural changes. One distinct feature of this paper is the explicit consideration of structural changes in the variance-covariance matrix, in addition to changes in the autoregressive coefficients. The model is estimated by the quasi-maximum likelihood method. It is shown that shifts in the covariance matrix help identify the change points. We obtain consistency, rate of convergence, and limiting distributions for the estimated change points and the estimated regression coefficients and variance-covariance matrix. We also show that the number of change points can be consistently estimated via the information criterion approach. The paper provides tools for constructing confidence intervals for change points in multiple time series. The result is also useful for analyzing volatility changes in economic time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics in its series CEMA Working Papers with number 24.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Nov 1999
Date of revision: Oct 2000
Publication status: Published in Annals of Economics and Finance, Nov 2000, pages 303-339
Structural change; Multiple change points; QMLE; VAR; BIC;
Other versions of this item:
- Jushan Bai, 2000. "Vector Autoregressive Models with Structural Changes in Regression Coefficients and in Variance-Covariance Matrices," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 1(2), pages 303-339, November.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pierre Perron & Jing Zhou, 2008. "Testing Jointly for Structural Changes in the Error Variance and Coefficients of a Linear Regression Model," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2008-011, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Zhongjun Qu & Tatsushi Oka, 2010.
"Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2010-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Oka, Tatsushi & Qu, Zhongjun, 2011. "Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 248-267, June.
- Eiji Kurozumi & Purevdorj Tuvaandorj, 2010.
"Model Selection Criteria in Multivariate Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd10-144, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kurozumi, Eiji & Tuvaandorj, Purevdorj, 2011. "Model selection criteria in multivariate models with multiple structural changes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 218-238, October.
- Brian M. Doyle & Jon Faust, 2003.
"Breaks in the variability and co-movement of G-7 economic growth,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
786, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brian M. Doyle & Jon Faust, 2005. "Breaks in the Variability and Comovement of G-7 Economic Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 721-740, November.
- Otavio Ribeiro de Medeiros and Vitor Leone, 2012. "Multiple Changes in Persistence vs. Explosive Behaviour: The Dotcom Bubble," Working Papers 2012/02, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Candelon, Bertrand & Cubadda, Gianluca, 2006.
"Testing for parameter stability in dynamic models across frequencies,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-19694, Maastricht University.
- Bertrand Candelon & Gianluca Cubadda, 2006. "Testing for Parameter Stability in Dynamic Models across Frequencies," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(s1), pages 741-760, December.
- Bertrand Candelon & Gianluca Cubadda, 2006. "Testing for Parameter Stability in Dynamic Models Across Frequencies," CEIS Research Paper 82, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Candelon,Bertrand & Cubadda,Gianluca, 2005. "Testing for Parameter Stability in Dynamic Models across Frequencies," Research Memoranda 022, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Luca Benati, 2003.
"Evolving Post-World War II U.K. Economic Performance,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2003
171, Society for Computational Economics.
- Luca Benati, 2004. "Evolving post-World War II UK economic performance," Bank of England working papers 232, Bank of England.
- Loredana Ureche-Rangau & Franck Speeg, 2011. "A simple method for variance shift detection at unknown time points," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2204-2218.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Choi, Yoon K. & Zhou, Yong, 2005. "Nonparametric estimation of structural change points in volatility models for time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 79-114, May.
- Pierre Perron & Yohei Yamamoto, 2008. "Estimating and Testing Multiple Structural Changes in Models with Endogenous Regressors," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2008-017, Boston University - Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.