National Insurance against Unevenly Distributed Shocks in a European Monetary Union
AbstractWe examine proposals to introduce national insurance against unevenly distributed shocks in the European Community. This insurance would operate differently from tax and government spending activities that now yield regional insurance within countries, since these activities are mainly designed for other purpose such as income redistribution and general revenue-raising. According to our evidence, the appeal of such insurance is very limited because the risks are too highly correlated and there is an excessive chance that a country in difficulty would not receive aid. The costs of a continuing programme are likely to exceed the benefits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) with number 1993014.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 1993
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Mélitz, Jacques & Vori, Silvia, 1992. "National Insurance Against Unevenly Distributed Shocks in a European Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 697, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rui Henrique Alves & Óscar Afonso, 2007. "Fiscal Federalism in the European Union: How Far Are We?," FEP Working Papers, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto 244, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Barry Eichengreen, 1998.
"Saving Europe's Automatic Stabilizers,"
- Barry Eichengreen, 1997. "Saving Europe's Automatic Stabilisers," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 159(1), pages 92-98, January.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1996. "Saving Europe's Automatic Stabilizers," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkele qt9zb6q3ms, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen., 1996. "Saving Europe's Automatic Stabilizers," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers, University of California at Berkeley C96-082, University of California at Berkeley.
- Dominick Salvatore, 1998. "International Monetary and Financial Arrangements: Present and Future," Open Economies Review, Springer, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 375-416, January.
- Enzo Dia, 2004. "The bank’s risk insurance and the EMU," Working Papers, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics 72, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised May 2004.
- Sanguinetti, Pablo & Tommasi, Mariano, 2004.
"Intergovernmental transfers and fiscal behavior insurance versus aggregate discipline,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 149-170, January.
- Mariano Tommasi & Pablo Sanguinetti, 2003. "Intergovernmental Transfers and Fiscal Behavior: Insurance versus Aggregate Discipline," Working Papers, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia 60, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Aug 2003.
- Goodhart, Charles, 1996. "European monetary integration," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1083-1090, April.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Fanelli, Luca & Gardini, Attilio, 2006. "Regional consumption dynamics and risk sharing in Italy," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 525-542.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sebastien SCHILLINGS).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.