Capital, Labour, Materials and Additional R&D Investment in Japan. The Issue of (Double-) Counting
AbstractR&D components are investigated in dynamic factor demand models, using a pooled data set. Models where information on R&D is (double or ) wrongly counted and (once or) correctly counted are compared by GMM estimates, (non-)nested GMM tests and residual analyses. The results indicate that R&D contributes significantly to the explanation of capital, labour, energy and materials demand in the Japanese manufacturing industry. A double counting of R&D is even preferred to not incorporating R&D as a separate production factor. Furthermore, R&D turns out to be a heterogeneous production factor with production potentials differing among its components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) with number 1995009.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 1995
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Marga PEETERS & Paul GHIJSEN, 2000. "Capital, Labour, Materials and Additional R&D Investment in Japan - The Issue of Double-Counting," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 58, pages 165-184.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raouf BOUCEKKINE & Blanca MARTINEZ & Cagri SAGLAM, 2001.
"Technology Adoption, Capital Maintenance and the Technological Gap,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Raouf Boucekkine & Blanca Martínez & CARGI SAGLAM, 2003. "Technology Adoption, Capital Maintenance And The Technological Gap," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-18, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Michael J. Dueker & Andreas M. Fischer, 2003.
"Fixing Swiss potholes: the importance of improvements,"
2001-025, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Dueker, Michael & Fischer, Andreas M, 2002. "Fixing Swiss Potholes: The Importance of Improvements," CEPR Discussion Papers 3159, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Blanca, MARTINEZ & Cagri, SAGLAM, 2006.
"Capital Maintenance Vs Technology Adopton under Embodied Technical Progress,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2006030, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & MARTINEZ, Blanca & SAGLAM, Cagri, 2006. "Capital maintenance Vs technology adoption under embodied technical progress," CORE Discussion Papers 2006058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Collard, Fabrice & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2000. "Maintenance, Utilization, and Depreciation along the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 2477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sabine Visser, 2007. "R&D in Worldscan," CPB Memorandum 189, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Bitros, George C., 2009. "The Theorem of Proportionality in Mainstream Capital Theory: An Assessment of its Conceptual Foundations," MPRA Paper 17436, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- J. Aznar-Marquez & J.R. Ruiz-Tamarit, 2001. "Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001037, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Alice Albonico & Sarantis Kalyvitis & Evi Pappa, 2011. "Real Business Cycles with Capital Maintenance," Quaderni di Dipartimento 147, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Quantitative Methods.
- Beatriz Rumbos & Leonardo Auernheimer, 2001. "Endogenous capital utilization in a neoclassical growth model," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(2), pages 121-134, June.
- J. Aznar-Márquez & J. R. Ruiz-Tamarit, . "Endogenous Growth, Capital Utilization and Depreciation," Working Papers 2004-21, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.