Le disuguaglianze regionali nella distribuzione del reddito. Parte prima: Un'analisi della povertà delle famiglie italiane
AbstractThe aim of this paper is the definition and measurement of the concept of poverty of families in nine regions of Italy. Poverty tends to be a multi-dimensional concept and the use of monetary income as a single measure of well-being can be misleading. The concept of equality of living standards is a more correct definition, but it is far more elusive. Using a national poverty line in targeting for social policies might introduce inequality within regions and families who face different cost of living; we propose regional poverty lines as a first step to correct it. Then, we try a decomposition of poverty indices in two components (poverty within regions and poverty between regions) by comparing a nation-wide threshold with a set of region-specific poverty lines. Finally, to take account of different living costs, we introduce intra-national PPP indices to correct the food consumption of poor families for the regional price levels; this can reduce the difference in regional poverty lines between North and South. We discuss the importance for the (national and/or local) policy maker to consider the concept of vulnerability instead of that of poverty in order to include multi-dimensional factors of well-being and also the role of uncertainty in households’ decision process. Indicators of vulnerability can be better proxies of living standards in each region and have significant advantages over income testing in the identification of eligibility rules to relieve immediate poverty and to prevent it in the longer term
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE) in its series DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Politica Economica with number ISPE0052.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Income distribution; living standards; poverty; regional analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General Welfare
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luigi Pierfranco Campiglio, 2013. "Why Italy's saving rate became (so) low?," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Politica Economica ispe0063, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- John S L McCombie & Marta Spreafico, 2013. "Can only democracies enhance “Human Development”? Evidence from the Former Soviet Countries," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Politica Economica ispe0066, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giuseppina Malerba).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.