Health, Happiness and Adaptation: an economic perspective
AbstractIn this paper we present a theoretical framework for the analysis of the economic relevance of adaptation as an "happiness engine" in bad health conditions. Positing that for a given individual the level of health is quite separate from the degree of adaptation and its effect on happiness, we aim to verify if gaps between health and happiness do exist and which factors can be connected to them. Having provided a general model of health related happiness determination structured on three happiness components, we define the adaptation process and the relevance of its monetary and non-monetary costs. We then test some features of the model using data from the SHARE survey of health, ageing and retirement in Europe (Release 2.0.1, 2007). We eventually conclude with some suggestions for future research and present a number of actual options for health policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche in its series Working Papers with number 2010-06.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 29 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche Via S. Angelo Loc. Folcara 03043 Cassino (FR) - Italy
Web page: http://www.eco-giu.uniclam.it/Dipartimento/Info
More information through EDIRC
Happiness; Adaptation; Health; SHARE; Adaptation Costs; Health Psychology; Economic Psychology;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- H51 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Health
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-HAP-2010-12-04 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-HEA-2010-12-04 (Health Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gennaro Zezza).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.