Demand as a source of entry and the survival of new semiconductor firms
AbstractThe performance of new companies coming from the demand side of the semiconductor industry is examined and it is compared with the performance of entrants coming from the semiconductor industry itself and with other types of entrants. By using a dataset of more than one thousand start-ups founded between 1997 and 2007 around the world, the paper shows that start-ups with a background in application sectors perform survive longer than spin-offs from the semiconductor industry itself or than inexperienced firms founded by people previously active in university or services. These results point strongly to the major role of demand not just as a source of innovations, but also as a major driver of entry into an industry and of successful performance of new firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy in its series KITeS Working Papers with number 031.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision: Apr 2010
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano - Italy
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy
Other versions of this item:
- Roberto Fontana & Franco Malerba, 2010. "Demand as a source of entry and the survival of new semiconductor firms," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(5), pages 1629-1654, October.
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-11-06 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2010-11-06 (Entrepreneurship)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peltoniemi, Mirva, 2013. "Mechanisms of capability evolution in the Finnish forest industry cluster," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 190-205.
- Adams, Pamela & Fontana, Roberto & Malerba, Franco, 2013. "The magnitude of innovation by demand in a sectoral system: The role of industrial users in semiconductors," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.