Neglected Common Factors in Exchange Rate Volatility
AbstractThe paper proposes a new multivariate model for exchange rate volatility in a system of bilateral exchange rates, using a factor structure of exchange rates one of the common factors is always related to the numeraire currency. Time variation in the volatility is modelled using a stochastic variance approach. The interpretation of the factors provides a new way of estimating risk premia in the foreign exchange market. Empirical results show considerable volatility spillovers among the four major currencies. Risk premia show a major sign reversal for the dollar risk premium around 1978.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ in its series CEPR Financial Markets Paper with number 0041.
Date of creation: Jan 1994
Date of revision:
Availability: in print
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Mahieu, Ronald & Schotman, Peter, 1994. "Neglected common factors in exchange rate volatility," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 279-311, July.
- Mahieu, R.J. & Schotman, P., 1994. "Neglected common factors in exchange rate volatility," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3131741, Tilburg University.
- Mahieu, R.J. & Schotman, P., 1994. "Neglected common factors in exchange rate volatility," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5923, Maastricht University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert & Hodrick, Robert J., 1993.
"On biases in the measurement of foreign exchange risk premiums,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 115-138, April.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick, 1991. "On Biases in the Measurement of Foreign Exchange Risk Premiums," NBER Working Papers 3861, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.