Investor Sentiment and Pre-Issue Markets
AbstractWhat role do sentiment investors play in the pricing of newly listed stocks? We derive conditions under which we can distinguish between sentiment and rational pricing behaviour and test for the rationality of small investors’ demand for new stock issues using data from pre-issue (or ‘grey’) markets in Europe. Under sentiment, the model predicts asymmetric relations between the prices at which small investors trade new stock issues in the grey market and i) the subsequent issue price set by the investment bank, ii) prices in the early after-market, and iii) the degree of stock price reversal in the long run. Our empirical results suggest that sentiment demand is present and influences the pricing of newly listed firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 4448.
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Degeorge, François & Derrien, François & Womack, Kent L., 2010.
"Auctioned IPOs: The US evidence,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 177-194, November.
- Degeorge, F. & Derrien, F. & Womack, K.L., 2009. "Auctioned IPOs: The U.S. Evidence," Discussion Paper 2009-37 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- François DEGEORGE & François DERRIEN & Kent L. WOMACK, . "Auctioned IPOs: The U.S. Evidence," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 08-38, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Kaserer, Christoph & Diller, Christian, 2004. "What drives cash flow based European private equity returns? Fund inflows, skilled GPs and/or risk?," CEFS Working Paper Series 2004-02, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.