Macroeconomic Policy Coordination and the European Monetary System
AbstractThis paper discusses the EMS and proposals to move towards EMU in the context of recent theoretical and empirical work on international policy coordination. It treats two particular themes: asymmetry among EMS countries and its implications for policy coordination; and the coordination required to reach agreed European Community macroeconomic policies. Section 1 examines policy coordination in a fixed exchange rate system. Section 2 discusses policy coordination in the Delors Committee Report, with its emphasis on fiscal policies. Section 3 deals with asymmetry and hegemony, and Section 4 suggests reasons to strengthen "absolute" policy coordination in the EC.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 342.
Date of creation: Sep 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Patricia S. Pollard, 1993. "Macroeconomic policy effects in a monetary union," Working Papers 1993-001, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Andrew Atkeson & Tamim Bayoumi, 1993. "Do private capital markets insure regional risk? Evidence from the United States and Europe," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 303-324, September.
- Carlo Carraro, 1997. "Modelling International Policy Games: Lessons from European Monetary Coordination," Empirica, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 163-177, October.
- George Alogoskoufis & Richard Portes, 1991.
"International Costs and Benefits from EMU,"
NBER Working Papers
3384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Artus, 1992. "Passage à l'union économique et monétaire en Europe : effets sur la croissance et les politiques budgétaires," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 106(5), pages 123-137.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.