Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rates for the G7
AbstractThe Fundamental Equilibrium Exchange Rate (FEER) is the real exchange rate which produces a current account that is exactly matched by equilibrium medium-term capital flows. This paper sets out a small model to calculate FEERs for the G7 from 1971 to 1988. This model's parameters are either directly estimated or derived from the long-run properties of a larger world econometric model, GEM. Particular attention is paid to feedbacks from the FEER to the NAIRU, and interactions between world output, trade and commodity prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 323.
Date of creation: Jun 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kemme, David M. & Roy, Saktinil, 2006.
"Real exchange rate misalignment: Prelude to crisis?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 207-230, October.
- David M. Kemme & Saktinil Roy, 2005. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: Prelude to Crisis?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp797, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balázs Égert, & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp793, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," CEPR Discussion Papers 4809, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Halpern, László & MacDonald, Ronald & Égert, Balázs, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in T ransition Economies: T aking Stock of the Issues," Working Papers 106, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Su Zhou, 1993. "Fundamental equilibrium exchange rates and exchange rate dynamics," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 189-209, June.
- Jens Holscher & Mariusz Jarmuzek, 2005. "Overvalued or Undervalued Euroland Entry?," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 235-250.
- Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland & Katerina Smidkova, 2003.
"Estimates of Fundamental Real Echange Rates for the Five EU Pre- Accession Countries,"
- Kateřina Šmídková & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2003. "Estimates of fundamental real exchange rates for the five eu pre-accession countries," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2003(4).
- Katerina Smidkova & Ray Barrell & Dawn Holland, 2002. "Estimates of Fundamental Real Exchange Rates for the Five EU Pre-Accession Countries," Working Papers 2002/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Barisone, Giacomo & Driver, Rebecca L. & Wren-Lewis, Simon, 2006.
"Are our FEERs justified?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 741-759, August.
- Christodoulakis, Nicos & Garratt, Anthony & Currie, David, 1996. "Target zones and alternative proposals for G3 policy coordination: An empirical evaluation using GEM," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 49-68.
- Benjamin Carton & Karine Hervé, 2010.
"Estimation of Consistent Multi-Country FEERs,"
2010-02, CEPII research center.
- Katerina Smidkova & Ales Bulir, 2004.
"Would Fast Sailing Towards the Euro Be Smooth?: What Fundamental Real Exchange Rates Tell Us About Acceding Economies,"
- Kateřina Šmídková & Aleš Bulíř, 2004. "Would Fast Sailing towards the Euro Be Smooth? What Fundamental Real Exchange Rates Tells Us about Acceding Economies," Working Papers IES 64, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised 2004.
- Katerina Smidkova, 2003. "Estimating the FEER for the Czech Economy," Macroeconomics 0303014, EconWPA.
- Andrea Saayman, 2007. "The Real Equilibrium South African Rand/US Dollar Exchange Rate: A Comparison of Alternative Measures," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 183-199, May.
- Nicolas Sobczak & Céline Prigent & Hervé Joly, 1996. "Le taux de change réel d'équilibre : une introduction," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 123(2), pages 1-21.
- Kateřina Šmídková & Aleš Bulíř, 2005. "Would Fast Sailing Towards the Euro Be Smooth? What Fundamental Real Exchange Rates Tell Us," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2005(4), pages 291-316.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.