Counting the Cost of Voluntary Export Restrictions in the European Car Market
AbstractThe effects of `voluntary' export restrictions (VERs) on sales of Japanese cars to some European markets are studied in this paper, using a numerically calibrated model of quantitative trade restrictions in a market with imperfect competition and economies of scale. In this framework, the VER has an anti-competitive effect. On the basis of 1985 data we estimate the costs to the UK of the restriction to be between 95m and 130m pounds sterling per year. Since the welfare cost of a tariff which would have the same effect on UK production would be less than half of the cost of the voluntary export restraint, it follows that the VER is a very inefficient policy instrument. The Italian and French markets have tighter VERs than the UK, with correspondingly higher costs; but replacement of individual European VERs with Community-wide restrictions on imports from Japan would impose costs on member countries that currently do not have such restrictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 249.
Date of creation: Jun 1988
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goldberg, PK & Verboven, Frank, 2001.
"The evolution of price dispersion in the European car market,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/101069, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "The Evolution of Price Dispersion in the European Car Market," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(4), pages 811-48, October.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Frank Verboven, 1998. "The Evolution of Price Dispersion in the European Car Market," NBER Working Papers 6818, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Verboven, Frank, 1998. "The Evolution of Price Dispersion in the European Car Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2029, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. David Richardson, 1990. "Empirical Research on Trade Liberalization With Imperfect Competition: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 2883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bletschacher, Georg & Klodt, Henning, 1992. "Strategische Handels- und Industriepolitik : theoretische Grundlagen, Branchenanalysen und wettbewerbspolitische Implikationen," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 456, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.