Bank Competition and Enterprise restructuring in Transition Economies
AbstractWe investigate how bank competition affects the efficiency of credit allocation, using a model of spatial competition. Our analysis shows that bad loans are more likely the larger the number of banks competing for customers. We study further how many banks will be active if market entry is not regulated. Free entry can induce too much entry and thus too many bad loans compared to the social optimum. Finally, we analyse how bank competition affects the firms' restructuring effort. We find that restructuring has positive externalities that give rise to multiple equilibria, with either much or little restructuring activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2045.
Date of creation: Dec 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
- P34 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Finance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bogdan Capraru, 2010. "The Romanian Banking Competition And The Accession To Eu," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 399-404, July.
- Christa Hainz, 2004. "Are Transition Countries Overbanked? The Effect of Institutions on Bank Market Entry," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(2), pages 237-256, 05.
- Hermann Clement & Alexandra Reppegather, 2002. "Effektivität der Förderbankkredite für KMU in Mittel- und Osteuropa. (Unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der Situation in Ungarn und Ukraine)," Working Papers 239, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Hainz, Christa, 2007. "The Effect of Bank Competition on the Bank's Incentive to Collateralize," Discussion Papers in Economics 2007, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.