Economic Policy and Reforms in Contemporary Italy
AbstractThis paper analyses the spectacular fiscal adjustment currently occurring in Italy. In 1990, the Italian General Government showed the second largest primary deficit-to-GDP ratio in Europe; in 1997 it is expected to have the largest primary surplus-to-GDP ratio, with a 3% overall deficit-to-GDP ratio. Inflation and inflationary expectations are beaten; the lira is firmly reintroduced in the EMS exchange rate mechanism and the interest rate differential on Treasury bonds with the rest of Europe is almost non-existent; in the budget process most of the traditional divergences between the appropriations approved by Parliament and the final cash expenditures are eliminated. Some qualitative shortcomings, however, appear in the Italian fiscal adjustment. They concern the excessive use of taxation, the cut of public investment, the insufficiency of structural reforms of the Welfare State and the slowness of concrete steps in the overall administrative reform and in the rethinking of the public sector role in a modern society (liberalizations, public properties’ rentability, privatizations).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1874.
Date of creation: Jun 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fiorella Kostoris Padoa Schioppa, 2003. "Il Mercato e le Politiche Economiche in Italia," ISAE Working Papers 30, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Elisabetta BERTERO, 2006. "Does a change in the ownership of firms, from public to private, make a difference?," Departmental Working Papers 2006-03, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.