Fuzzy Transition and Firm Efficiency: Evidence from Bulgaria, 1991-4
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between firm restructuring and international competition in Bulgaria during 1991–4. Two hypotheses are tested. First, firms in industries that are subject to significant international competition demonstrate greater increases in efficiency over time than firms in industries that remain sheltered from such competition. Second, firms within an industry that rely significantly upon export sales reduce costs faster than those that rely primarily on the local market. Neither hypothesis is rejected. The firm-level data suggest that international competition led to substantial cost efficiency improvements. Entry and exit of firms is found to have a significant additional impact on the evolution of marginal costs in most industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 1424.
Date of creation: Jul 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1997. "Competition law in Bulgaria after central planning," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1789, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.