Finite Sample Inference for GMM Estimators in Linear Panel Data Models
AbstractWe compare the finite sample performance of a range of tests of linear restrictions for linear panel data models estimated using Generalised Method of Moments (GMM). These include standard asymptotic Wald tests based on one-step and two-step GMM estimators; two bootstrapped versions of these Wald tests; a version of the two-step Wald test that uses a more accurate asymptotic approximation to the distribution of the estimator; the LM test; and three criterion-bases tests that have recently been proposed. We consider both the AR(1) panel model, and a design with predetermined regressors. The corrected two-step Wald test performs similarly to the standard one-step Wald test, whilst the bootstrapped one-step Wald test, the LM test, and a simple criterion-difference test can provide more reliable finite sample inference in some cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Conferences on Panel Data in its series 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 with number C6-3.
Date of creation: Mar 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Steve Bond & Frank Windmeijer, 2002. "Finite sample inference for GMM estimators in linear panel data models," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-07-10 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2002-07-04 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sune Karlsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.