Regularity and stability of equilibria in an overlapping generations model with exogenous growth
AbstractIn an exogenous-growth economy with overlapping generations (OG) we analyse local stability of the balanced growth equilibria with respect to perturbations of consumption endowments, thought of as the "monetised" value of a government policy to individuals. We show that perturbed economies have a unique equilibium in the neighbourhood, that the equilibrium allocation expressed in terms of efficient labour units is Fréchet differentiable in L? with derivatives given by kernels, and that the equilibrium is stable in the sense that if perturbations converge to 0 at ±?, the corresponding equilibria converge back to the unperturbed equilibrium at ±?. As a corollary this implies a proof of non-vacuity of the main result in Mertens and Rubinchik (2006).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2009005.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
regularity of infinite economies; policy evaluation; overlapping generations; exogenous growth; intergenerational fairness; utilitarianism; relative utilitarianism;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mertens, Jean-Francois & Rubinchik, Anna, .
"Intergenerational Equity And The Discount Rate For Policy Analysis,"
WP2011/4, University of Haifa, Department of Economics, revised 01 Jun 2011.
- Mertens, Jean-François & Rubinchik, Anna, 2012. "Intergenerational Equity And The Discount Rate For Policy Analysis," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 61-93, February.
- MERTENS, Jean-François & RUBINCHIK, Anna, . "Intergenerational equity and the discount rate for policy analysis," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2438, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mertens, Jean-Francois & Rubinchik, Anna, . "Banach Families And The Implicit Function Theorem," Working Papers WP2011/6, University of Haifa, Department of Economics, revised 04 Oct 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.