Antidumping protection and productivity of domestic firms: a firm-level analysis
AbstractWe analyze the relationship between Antidumping (AD) Protection and the productivity of EU domestic firms in import-competing industries. For this purpose we identify a panel of domestic firms between 1993 and 2003 that at some point during this period are affected by AD initiations. Using a difference-in-difference approach, we find that AD measures result in improvements ofmeasured productivity for domestic firms. Total Factor Productivity (TFP) of protected firms increases by 2% in the short-run and by 5% to 13% in the long-run. However, there is substantial heterogeneity across firms. The effect of protection depends on the initial "distance-to-the-frontier firm" in the industry. While protection raises TFP of "laggard" domestic firms, it lowers TFP for "efficient" firms that operate close to the efficiency frontier. These results are consistent with recent theoretical work supporting the view that trade policy, under certain conditions, can induce technological catching-up. While this paper evaluates the effectiveness of AD policy it does not engage in a welfare analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2007064.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
total factor productivity; antidumping protection; technological catching-up;
Other versions of this item:
- Jozef Konings & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2007. "Antidumping Protection and Productivity of Domestic Firms: A firm level analysis," LICOS Discussion Papers 19607, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Josef, KONINGS & Hylke, VANDENBUSSCHE, 2007. "Antidumping Protection and Productivity of Domestic Firms : A firm level analysis," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007028, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Van Hove, Jan, 2009. "Variety and Quality in Intra-European Manufacturing Trade: The Impact of Innovation and Technological Spillovers," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/409029, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.