The main methodological issues in costing health care services: A literature review
AbstractThe Healthbasket project seeks to offer evidence on the basket of services offered by the health system in nine member states, and the costs and prices associated with those services. A specific objective of the project is “to identify what are the existing possibilities for and limitation to [cost] comparison and recommend the minimum data required to furnish meaningful international comparison in the future.” To that end, work programme WP7 assesses the costing methodologies for inpatient and outpatient health services at the micro-level. The aim of the WP7 subproject is to provide a comprehensive review best practice in cost assessment by examining the scientific literature on methodologies for calculating health service costs. This review examines published scientific literature about the methodologies used to estimate the costs associated with the delivery of a particular service at the micro-level in both in-patient and out-patient settings. In addition, the review summarises the scientific literature on methodologies used in international comparative studies of health service costs at the micro-level, including in-patient and outpatient settings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Health Economics, University of York in its series Working Papers with number 007cherp.
Length: 242 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Carreras & Manuel García-Goñi & Pere Ibern & J. Coderch & L. Vall-Llosera & José María Inoriza, 2009. "Estimates of patient costs related with population morbidity: Can indirect costs affect the results?," Economics Working Papers 1138, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter C. Smith, 2008. "Variability in healthcare treatment costs amongst nine EU countries - results from the Health BASKET project," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(S1), pages S1-S8.
- M. Carreras & Manuel García-Goñi & Pere Ibern & J. Coderch & L. Vall-Llosera & José María Inoriza, 2009. "Estimates of patient costs related with population morbidity: Can indirect costs affect the results?," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 1138, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- M. Carreras & M. García-Goñi & P. Ibern & J. Coderch & L. Vall-Llosera & J. Inoriza, 2011. "Estimates of patient costs related with population morbidity: can indirect costs affect the results?," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 289-295, August.
- Eduard Beck & Carlos Avila & Sofia Gerbase & Guy Harling & Paul Lay, 2012. "Counting the Cost of Not Costing HIV Health Facilities Accurately," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 30(10), pages 887-902, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.