International Inequality and Convergence in Educational Attainment: 1960-1990
AbstractThe paper examines the international inequality and convergence of educational attainment from 1960 to 1990. Despite the increasing trend in educational attainment, the gap in educational attainment between the developing countries and developed countries and that between males and females increased in the period. However, the relative dispersion of educational attainment--as measured by the coefficient of variation, the Gini coefficient, or the standard deviation of log average years of schooling--declined consistently during the period by either development or gender status. Decompositions of the Gini coefficient indicate that the development gap and the gender gap were the main components for world inequality in educational attainment in both 1960 and 1990. Educational attainment exhibited beta- and sigma-convergence over the period. Copyright 2002 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number _121.
Date of creation: Jun 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Zhang, Junsen & Li, Tianyou, 2002. "International Inequality and Convergence in Educational Attainment, 1960-1990," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 383-92, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- George Petrakos & Panagiotis Artelaris, 2009. "European Regional Convergence Revisited: A Weighted Least Squares Approach," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 40(2), pages 314-331.
- Jirada Prasartpornsirichoke & Yoshi Takahashi & Peera Charoenporn, 2012. "The Ranking of Inequality in Human Capital: Evidence from Asian Countries," IDEC DP2 Series 2-14, Hiroshima University, Graduate School for International Development and Cooperation (IDEC).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.