Structural Change in AR(1) Models
AbstractThis paper investigates the consistency of the least squares estimators and derives their limiting distributions in an AR(1) model with a single structural break of unknown timing. Let 1 and 2 be the preshift and postshift AR parameter, respectively. Three cases are considered: (i) 1 1 and 2 1; (ii) 1 1 and 2 = 1; and (iii) 1 = 1 and 2 1. Cases (ii) and (iii) are of particular interest but are rarely discussed in the literature. Surprising results are that, in both cases, regardless of the location of the change-point estimate, the unit root can always be consistently estimated and the residual sum of squares divided by the sample size converges to a discontinuous function of the change point. In case (iii), [circumflex over beta]2 does not converge to 2 whenever the change-point estimate is lower than the true change point. Further, the limiting distribution of the break-point estimator for shrinking break is asymmetric for case (ii), whereas those for cases (i) and (iii) are symmetric. The appropriate shrinking rate is found to be different in all cases.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number _079.
Date of creation: Mar 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2006:i:12:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hendrik Kaufmannz & Robinson Kruse, 2013. "Bias-corrected estimation in potentially mildly explosive autoregressive models," CREATES Research Papers 2013-10, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:7:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cheong, Siew Ann & Fornia, Robert Paulo & Lee, Gladys Hui Ting & Kok, Jun Liang & Yim, Woei Shyr & Xu, Danny Yuan & Zhang, Yiting, 2011. "The Japanese economy in crises: A time series segmentation study," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-24, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Terence Tai-Leung Chong, 2007. "Estimating the Fractionally Integrated Model with a Break in the Differencing Parameter," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(67), pages 1-10.
- Zhang, Chengsi, 2011.
"Inflation persistence, inflation expectations, and monetary policy in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 622-629.
- Zhang, Chengsi, 2011. "Inflation persistence, inflation expectations, and monetary policy in China," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 622-629, January.
- Yan, Isabel K. & Chong, Terence & Lam, Tau-Hing, 2011.
"Is the Chinese Stock Market Really Efficient,"
35219, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 2005.
"Small sample properties of forecasts from autoregressive models under structural breaks,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 183-217.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Timmermann, A., 2003. "Small Sample Properties of Forecasts from Autoregressive Models under Structural Breaks," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0331, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan G, 2004. "Small Sample Properties of Forecasts From Autoregressive Models Under Structural Breaks," CEPR Discussion Papers 4401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Allan Timmermann & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2003. "Small Sample Properties of Forecasts from Autoregressive Models under Structural Breaks," CESifo Working Paper Series 990, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung & Hinich, Melvin J. & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Lim, Kian-Ping, 2008. "Time series test of nonlinear convergence and transitional dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 337-339, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2007:i:2:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2004.
"Least squares estimation and tests of breaks in mean and variance under misspecification,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 32-54, 06.
- Jean-Yves Pitarakis, 2003. "Least Squares Estimation and Tests of Breaks in Mean and Variance under Misspecification," Econometrics 0312004, EconWPA.
- Kejriwal, Mohitosh & Perron, Pierre, 2012. "A note on estimating a structural change in persistence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 932-935.
- Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Guoxin Liu & Isabel Kit-Ming Yan, 2007. "Habit Formation: Deep and Uncertain," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(2), pages 1-10.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2007:i:36:p:1-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2007:i:67:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Charles Ka Yui Leung & Youngman Chun Fai Leong & Ida Yin Sze Chan, 2002. "TOM: Why Isn’t Price Enough?," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 5(1), pages 91-115.
- Jouini, Jamel & Boutahar, Mohamed, 2005. "Evidence on structural changes in U.S. time series," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 391-422, May.
- Cheong, Siew Ann & Fornia, Robert Paulo & Lee, Gladys Hui Ting & Kok, Jun Liang & Yim, Woei Shyr & Xu, Danny Yuan & Zhang, Yiting, 2012. "The Japanese economy in crises: A time series segmentation study," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(5), pages 1-81.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.