Capital Supply Uncertainty, Cash Holdings, and Investment
AbstractWe develop a model of investment, payout, and nancing policies in which rms face uncertainty regarding their ability to raise funds and have to search for investors when in need of capital. We show that capital supply uncertainty leads rms to value nancial slack and to adjust their policies to the level of their cash reserves, notably when choosing between retention and payout, between internal or external nancing of investment, and between speculation and hedging. In the model, investment and payout do not always increase with slack for constrained rms and the choice between internal and external funds does not follow a strict pecking order. In addition, the use of inside and outside cash are related to a number of rm characteristics, such as asset tangibility, cash ow volatility, access to capital markets, or agency costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Finance Institute in its series Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series with number 11-44.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Capital supply uncertainty; cash holdings; real investment; search;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
- G35 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Payout Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-28 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.