Endogenous completeness of diffusion driven equilibrium markets
AbstractWe study the existence of equilibria with endogenously complete markets in a continuous-time, heterogenous agents economy driven by a multidimensional diffusion process. Our main results show that if prices are real analytic as functions of time and the state variables of the model then a suffi- cient condition for market completeness is that the volatility of dividends be nondegenerate. In contrast to previous research, our formulation does not require that securities pay terminal dividends and thus allows for both finite or infinite horizon economies. We illustrate our results by providing easily applicable conditions for market completeness in two benchmark cases: that where the state variables are given by a vector autoregressive process and that where they are given by a vector of autonomous diffusion processes. We also provide counterexamples which show that real analyticity cannot be dispensed with if one is to deduce dynamic market completeness from the structure of dividends.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Finance Institute in its series Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series with number 09-41.
Length: 77 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
continuous-time finance; dynamic market completeness; general equilibrium theory.;
Other versions of this item:
- J. Hugonnier & S. Malamud & E. Trubowitz, 2012. "Endogenous Completeness of Diffusion Driven Equilibrium Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(3), pages 1249-1270, 05.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D52 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Incomplete Markets
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dmitry Kramkov & Silviu Predoiu, 2011. "Integral representation of martingales motivated by the problem of endogenous completeness in financial economics," Papers 1110.3248, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2012.
- Martin Larsson, 2013. "Non-Equivalent Beliefs and Subjective Equilibrium Bubbles," Papers 1306.5082, arXiv.org.
- Frederik Herzberg & Frank Riedel, 2012.
"Existence of Financial Equilibria in Continuous Time with Potentially Complete Markets,"
- Frank Riedel & Frederik Herzberg, 2012. "Existence of Financial Equilibria in Continuous Time with Potentially Complete Markets," Working Papers 443, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Hugonnier, Julien, 2012. "Rational asset pricing bubbles and portfolio constraints," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(6), pages 2260-2302.
- Dmitry Kramkov, 2013. "Existence of an endogenously complete equilibrium driven by a diffusion," Papers 1304.3516, arXiv.org.
- Theodoros M. Diasakos, 2012. "A Simple Characterization of Dynamic Completeness in Continuous Time," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 201312, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews, revised 02 Sep 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.