Prices and Portfolio Choices in Financial Markets: Theory, Econometrics, Experiments
AbstractMany tests of asset pricing models address only the pricing predictions — but these pricing predictions rest on portfolio choice predictions which seem obviously wrong. This paper suggests a new approach to asset pricing and portfolio choices, based on unobserved heterogeneity. This approach yields the standard pricing conclusions of classical models but is consistent with very different portfolio choices. Novel econometric tests link the price and portfolio predictions and take account of the general equilibrium effects of sample-size bias. The paper works through the approach in detail for the case of the classical CAPM, producing a model called CAPM+€. When these econometric tests are applied to data generated by large-scale laboratory asset markets which reveal both prices and portfolio choices, CAPM+€ is not rejected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Finance Institute in its series Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series with number 07-05.
Length: 61 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2003
Date of revision: Mar 2007
experimental finance; experimental asset markets; risk aversion;
Other versions of this item:
- Peter Bossaerts & Charles Plott & William R. Zame, 2007. "Prices and Portfolio Choices in Financial Markets: Theory, Econometrics, Experiments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 993-1038, 07.
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
- C92 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Group Behavior
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-10-20 (Econometrics)
- NEP-EXP-2007-10-20 (Experimental Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2007-10-20 (Financial Markets)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M Hashem Pesaran & Takashi Yamagata, 2012.
"Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets,"
12/05, Department of Economics, University of York.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y::i:172:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jürgen Eichberger & Klaus Rheinberger & Martin Summer, 2014.
"Credit Risk in General Equilibrium,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4602, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eichberger, Jürgen & Rheinberger, Klaus & Summer, Martin, 2012. "Credit risk in general equilibrium," Working Paper Series 1445, European Central Bank.
- Jürgen Eichberger & Klaus Rheinberger & Martin Summer, 2011. "Credit Risk in General Equilibrium," Working Papers 172, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Baghestanian, Sascha & Walker, Todd B., 2014. "Thar she blows again: Reducing anchoring rekindles bubbles," SAFE Working Paper Series 54, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Steven Tucker & Charles Noussair & Charles N. Noussair & Steven Tucker, 2013.
"Experimental Research On Asset Pricing,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 554-569, 07.
- Noussair, C.N. & Tucker, S., 2013. "Experimental Research On Asset Pricing," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research 2013-020, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- John Duffy & Sean Crockett, 2010. "An Experimental Test of the Lucas Asset Pricing Model," Working Papers 504, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised May 2013.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Yamagata, T., 2012. "Testing CAPM with a Large Number of Assets (Updated 28th March 2012)," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1210, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Asparouhova, Elena & Bossaerts, Peter, 2009. "Modelling price pressure in financial markets," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 119-130, October.
- Anufriev, M. & Tuinstra, J. & Bao, T., 2013. "Fund Choice Behavior and Estimation of Switching Models: An Experiment," CeNDEF Working Papers 13-04, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Cary Frydman & Nicholas Barberis & Colin Camerer & Peter Bossaerts & Antonio Rangel, 2012. "Using Neural Data to Test a Theory of Investor Behavior: An Application to Realization Utility," NBER Working Papers 18562, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Catherine Eckel & Rick Wilson, 2006. "Internet cautions: Experimental games with internet partners," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-66, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.