Monetary Policy in Chile: a black box?
AbstractThis paper studies monetary policy in Chile during the 1986-1997 period. We concentrate in understanding the monetary transmission mechanism by which the Central Bank instrument—the real interest rate—affects total expenditure, output and the inflation rate. The methodology used is structural VARS. We find a weak effect of the interest rate on all the variables. The interest rate has a significant effect on the expenditure-output gap. Both the interest rate and the expenditure-output gap have a significant effect on the price of non-traded goods, in line with the dependent economy model (the Australian model).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 88.
Date of creation: Dec 2000
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2002-02-15 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2002-02-15 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2002-02-15 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Verónica Mies M. & Felipe Morandé L. & Matías Tapia G., 2002. "Monetary Policy and Transmission Mechanisms: New Elements for an old Debate," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 5(3), pages 29-66, December.
- Carlos José García, 2001. "Políticas de Estabilización en Chile Durante los Noventa," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 132, Central Bank of Chile.
- Fabián Gredig U. & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel D. & Rodrigo O. Valdés P., 2008.
"The Monetary Policy Horizon in Chile and Other Inflation-Targeting Countries,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(1), pages 5-27, April.
- Fabián Gredig & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Rodrigo Valdés, 2007. "The Monetary Policy Horizon in Chile and Other Inflation-Targeting Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 438, Central Bank of Chile.
- Verónica Mies & Felipe Morandé & Matías Tapia, 2002. "Política Monetaria y Mecanismos de Transmisión: Nuevos Elementos para una Vieja Discusión," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 181, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.